The church of the Assumption

In an isolated spot on the river, by the edge of the fertile Vremsko polje, stands the one-time pilgrimage church of the Assumption , with its two bell towers and three naves. The church contains preserved frescoes from the 15th century.


PILOn the path to the church, a high plague sign with the motif of St. George recalls the plague that ravaged Europe in the 17th century.

In the middle of the field, a little away from this church stood the first church of St.George. Reportedly, the old priest celebrated Mass on sundays only when the locals rode on white horses to the ceremony. These were the times when the region has not been vastly populated. At the Emperor's reforms in the late 18th century the church of st. George gradually diminished, but at this point a statue of St. George still exists. To the existence of these churches testify the frescoes in the pilgrim church of St. Mary, since in several places St. George on horseback with the dragon is depicted. There are no preserved testimonies when it was transferred to the center of the parish church of St. Mary. They were destroyed in big fire in 1700, when the old rectory has been burned.

Events calendar

< December 2019 >
mo tu we th fr sa su
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031