The tollhouse in Senožeče

The importance of transport through Senožeče can be seen in the preserved tollhouse dating from the 13th century, where the first lords of Duino/Devin, then later other owners, gathered tolls for goods being carried, while numerous wagoning inns sprouted up, trades flourished, and fairs were organised. With the extension of the southern railway, which was taken further south, transport and life in the town stagnated.


After the capture of Senožeče in 1509, the tollhouse was very devastated by the Venetians, since it was a powerful catalyst turnover against the Austrian Trieste instead to Venice and Istrian towns. Since 1527, when Senožeče were connected to Kranjska, it was ceasars tollhouse. In the 15th century a toll was included in the system borough walls along with the court under the castle. On the way to the Gulf of Trieste many Furman restaurant have grown.

Events calendar

< September 2019 >
mo tu we th fr sa su
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30